Monday, May 29, 2006

CSI, Scrubs & Top Gear



I've been so sleep starved. Just spent whole of Sunday making up for lost time.

Now I'm back!

Ok, I like Scrubs because as Nutty Nadia says, each character represents an exaggerated aspect of me. I love and hate the characters at the same time, and sometimes it's almost an 'ouch' for me - dammit! Season 1 better than Season 2, I think. The biting sarcasm makes me fall in love with the power of words all over again - wish I was the one writing Perry and Jordan's lines.

CSI : This is a great demo of 'Gut Feel Backed by Evidence' - my own recipe for sharp strategic thinking. They have a hunch and they look for the evidence to verify or refute it - and they do it without the desperate desire to be right that only leads to hostile battles. Ad people can learn a lot from this.
The other thing I admire about CSI is the sheer creativity - how many ways can one commit a murder? Imagine having the same brief every week - and coming up with something unexpected everytime. WOW!

Top Gear : Same thing. Amazing creativity. Many creatives (me especially) don't even like doing product reviews. And this show features cars - an object I personally find dreadfully uninteresting. But I can sit through Top Gear because they make it so fascinating. Who on earth could think of pitching a car against a tank? Racing against a train? Brilliant!

What else? Arrested Development? Tried but couldn't sit through one whole episode. I love Frasier too, even though I got feedback that it's an older person's cup of tea. I love House too - Honest Grouch punya mentor! hahaha...

Oh - American Idol. Must watch to understand what people like. Talent alone is not enough - the audience wants to be able to 'feeeel' the performer. That's why I think Taylor, Mawi and Daniel won their respective contests. 95% grads - this is the power of Level 5!

Ok, I'm done for now. Going to do some marketing with my new 'marketing buddy'.

Thanks for all your comments - they kept me going when I was too tired to blog. Love you all!

15 Comments:

Blogger mOkKiEs said...

hey janet! mok here...=p

yup yups, love CSI (especially when you watch it late at night) and scrubs always leaves me laughing my head off (i remember one hillarious scene where they had 4 singing doctors in the elevator). havent seen top gear yet, though.

but for all-out wackiness and "zing" humour, my all-time favourite is still futurama. =p

10:25 AM  
Blogger Minang Bercakap American said...

futurama! thats the most wackiest and exceptionally underrated cartoon ! Love that show! Tough that astro had to cut the show since its politically incorrect and not really suitable for Malaysian viewing but they still show repeats of The Simpson.

Zing is a good word btw, can I use that for future ads? hehe, Heya brotha Mok! haven't seen ya for awhile. Futsal bila wei? tak best la kalau takde supah goalkeeper Mokhtar!.

2:58 PM  
Blogger 95% The Advertising Academy said...

Hey, it's so cool that you guys are meeting on my blog!

3:46 PM  
Blogger jedimaster said...

I can watch Scrubs over and over again...

American Idol is ok laa... I like watching it because it really highlights the stupidity of the americans :)

Now that's entertainment!

12:23 PM  
Blogger jedimaster said...

BTW, I love doing product review!

12:26 PM  
Blogger bala said...

oh... having gathering here eh...
rae... dun just know how to talk here...
well the hell is our la bodega nite?
we suppose to hav it...
and janet is alwis the vip guest in our list...
just that..... someone here aint doin his job...
hahhaha

1:44 PM  
Blogger Minang Bercakap American said...

my bad brutha bala! ,

I'll be sure to make it up, and thats my best answer! heh

But lets not all focus on La Bodega shall we? lets do something original or fresh ?

I propose we go for futsal!! Yeahhhaa

9:59 AM  
Blogger bala said...

erm.. futsal???
i guess that is our "guys" activities...
we shall not forget the ladies in our class too..
and we do wanna invite janet too.. do we?
so.. something that is not so "sport"
hahhaha
i guess world cup fever is really heating every guys now....
so that means i'm the odd one out..

11:36 AM  
Blogger 95% The Advertising Academy said...

Well, this aunty here has never seen futsal! So I don't mind watching you guys play - as long as you don't make it boring. And don't hug me after you're all sweaty!!!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Minang Bercakap American said...

okey, how bout if we all go to a nice family restaurant and have a nice dinner and have a nice time?

no sweat, no hassle, no liquor.

Just pure good times

hehe

3:55 PM  
Blogger bala said...

family restaurant eh...
wat u hav in mind bro?
anyone here got any suggestions?
i guess janet's blog had officially become our chatroom..haha

1:03 PM  
Blogger Minang Bercakap American said...

hmm, somewhere nearby bangsar?

or maybe midvalley? If it was up to me, i would vote for Nando's Ciken! everyone gotta love ciken!

but transport, sendiri handle la , hehe.

by the way Bala, its okey if you used my words , I halalkan since i "fongfekei" the LaBodega thingy . heh

1:58 PM  
Blogger mOkKiEs said...

haha...wonder y janet keeps referring to herself as "auntie"?

and lol, rae...wat's with the "no sweat, no hassle, no liquor. Just pure good times"? you sound like u're doing ad for nando's...

but let's go! nando's or futsal (or maybe both?)!! =p

5:44 PM  
Blogger Minang Bercakap American said...

haha, very sharp mok! It does sound like an ad but trust me, it wasn't preplanned.

But hey, futsal and nandos?

cool combination

First Go makan
Then go futsal
Finally balik tidor.

me likey.

Although i have to agree with mok about janet referring herself as an "auntie". I mean, all my seniors are seasoned creatives but none of them are "aunties" or "uncles" more like boys and girls.

Plus their age can be very deceiving. hurmmm. maybe being a creative allows your to rejuvenate your youthness??

hurmm. .. it seems tangible

6:22 PM  
Blogger bala said...

hahaha.... no worries janet,
ppl oso call me uncle as i look so much older..
i stil cant believe that mr.ilovebmw tot i'm older than him....
damn.. i guess i need to take some rest

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home