Tuesday, September 11, 2007

After the roller coaster ride

Earlier this year, we took on eight people who wanted to be copywriters. Most of them had no advertising background, so it was a challenge for us as well as for them.

This is the longest training that we have done at 95% - five months that stretched to 22 weeks. So much happened in between. Two of the participants became first time fathers, one fractured his foot, and many of us had unexpected family emergencies, and even some really bad experiences.


And yet, somehow, we completed the training. And now, I am so proud of them, and pretty satisfied with the results. Out of the eight, only three are still looking for jobs. To read more about them, click on the title of this post.

The industry responded with unanticipated enthusiasm. I know Peter will frown at me for being pessimistic but I really didn't expect so much positive response. Even from those who couldn't come.

See these emails from Agency Heads :
"I am currently in London, but I just wanted to say that what you are doing is tremendous for the industry, and I personally want to thank you for all that you have done to add to the talent pool. I will, unfortunately, not be back in time for the graduation, but will be happy to talk to you when I come back with regard to offering jobs to two of the candidates, should they be in the market for opportunities in our industry. I thank you once again and wish you the very best for the day."

and one more ...

"I am so happy to hear the good initiative you are taking for our industry. I would really, really love to come but I have a prior engagement that cannot be undone. I am very sorry once again. I hope all of you will have a great time and my bigger wish is to see the 8 making it BIG."

and another one ...

"I’m very, very sorry for not making it on Friday. We were in town, but held up in an edit.
I got your mail on Friday, but got distracted by a call just as I was about to respond to it.
My apologies, it was very rude of me for not replying.
Hope the celebrations went well."

Those who attended the event as well as those who didn't, have left me feeling so overwhelmed that such important people (these are THE top in the industry) are being so encouraging, and so nice. They must be extremely busy people and yet, they have time to be nice. So unlike me when I was in advertising. Good learning here!

Of all the 700+ photos taken by Norman and Fajar, this one best defines the evening for me.


Me all happy and glowing, my faithful Sonny standing strongly for me in the background :)

Haha, and that's our best man Kelvin just in front of him!









Our wonderful team: I'm so proud of how everyone rose to the ocassion. Thank you guys!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! Your vision of producing spectacular copywriters are beginning to show results... :)

Anyway, I try to click on the link to read more about this bunch of people but unfortunately it shows error. Anywhere else I can read about them? :p

Congratulations once again.

P/S : When we go eat crab? hehehehe...

11:30 AM  
Blogger 95% The Advertising Academy said...

Hi Eva! Thanks!
I've corrected the link already - it links you to the 95% blog.
Crab? Mmmm, anytime!

1:52 PM  
Blogger iesnek said...

I'm a young copywriter and I've heard alot of good things about 95%, I'm truly looking forward to the day I actually save enough to get the chance to attend the classes!

I visited the website and I could relate so well to the 'When Will I be famous'section.

This may sound cheesy, but I'm really glad that you guys are around so i can learn more about the craft.

8:01 PM  
Blogger 95% The Advertising Academy said...

Hi YMW,
Cheesy or not, thanks for your comment! Sure hope you will find your way to us soon. I know how tough it can be trying to find your way on your own.

Anyway, even if you're not ready to sign up for the trainings, you're welcome to come for a portfolio review and chat. Maybe I can answer any questions you may have or at least, point you in the right direction. Just call or email to fix an appointment.

Hope to see you soon :)

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home